To learn more about the benefits of renewable diesel, how to switch your fleet to it, the cost difference, and where you can find it, continue reading on this page. If you are a retail distributer and want to learn how you can offer renewable diesel at your station, contact our friendly sales team today at 888-347-8353!
Difference in Diesel Fuels
Petroleum Diesel: (Clear Diesel, #1 or #2 Diesel) Currently the most common type of diesel fuel, traditional petroleum-based diesel is a fossil fuels made from crude oil. The process of making this type of fuel involves removing the crude oil from the ground into a refinery where it is refined through a process called hydrogenation which involves heat and pressure.
Biodiesel: Generally blended with traditional petroleum diesel at a rate of 5% – 20%, biodiesel does not rely of fossil fuels for production. Rather it utilizes vegetable oils and/or animal fats which are renewable resources for production.
To produce the fuel, a process called transesterification introduces oxygen into the fuel which can create issues that include separation during storage, freezing in low temperatures, algae growth, and increased emissions.
Renewable Diesel: Like biodiesel, renewable diesel does not rely on fossil fuels and is produced with renewable resources including vegetable oils, natural fats, and greases.
However, the production method used to create renewable diesel is very similar to its petroleum-based counterpart. This results in a fuel that is chemically the same as petroleum diesel.
Top 5 Benefits of Renewable Diesel
- The most obvious benefit of renewable diesel is it does not rely on an unsustainable resource like crude oil. This allows your fleet to “go green” and instantly reduce your carbon footprint by utilizing a renewable product.
- Unlike biodiesel, renewable fuel is hydrogenated and does not contain oxygen and does not carry the same problems with freezing, storage, and algae. The hydrogenation also allows it to burn cleaner than biodiesel.
- Since the renewable fuel shares the same chemical structure as the petroleum-based fuel, it can be instantly substituted in diesel engines which run on traditional diesel with no additional blending required.
- In many instances, vehicles with diesel particulate filters have realized a reduction, or elimination, of the need for regeneration, reducing maintenance costs.
- Many large government agencies and large corporations in California including The Cities of San Francisco and Oakland, along with UPS have switched to renewable diesel. Their fleet managers have not experienced any loss of power or decrease in miles per gallon performance.
Switching Your Fleet to Renewable Diesel
Switching fuel types and reducing your fleet’s carbon footprint is just that simple. In fact, thanks to fleets like yours from across the state switching to renewable diesel, California has realized the largest reduction of transportation-related sources of greenhouse gas emissions ever according to the California Air Resources Board.
Where Can You Find Renewable Diesel
For Ramos Oil Cardlock Fueling customers, we know offer renewable at three of our convenient cardlock locations:
- 1515 South River Road, West Sacramento
- 597 North East Street, Woodland
- 4420 Northgate Blvd, Sacramento
If your business enjoys the convenience of our fleet fueling program, and you would like to go green and switch to renewable diesel, simple contact your friendly sales representative today to learn how easy it can be!
Renewable Diesel Costs
Luckily for California fleets, the cost of renewable diesel is not that different from that of ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) or biodiesel. This is due to the state’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCSF), which reduces some of the expense.
While the per gallon cost of the renewable fuel can average $0.15 higher than other diesel options, when you take into consideration the diminished GHGs and potentially lowering maintenance costs that come with other options, renewable fuel make a great choice for your fleet.
Are you ready to go green and reduce your company’s carbon footprint? Ramos Oil is here to help! No matter if you are a fleet of one diesel truck, run a large fleet of different diesel vehicles, or want to offer renewable diesel at your retail gas station, our friendly sales staff are here to offer you expert advice and easily guide you through the process.